The attitude we have concerning the word of God is very important. A great example of this is found in the book of Malachi where we see a clear distinction between how the wicked and righteous respond to God's commands.
Malachi 3:18-4:3, Then you shall again discern Between the righteous and the wicked, Between one who serves God And one who does not serve Him. "For behold, the day is coming, Burning like an oven, And all the proud, yes, all who do wickedly will be stubble. And the day which is coming shall burn them up," Says the LORD of hosts, "That will leave them neither root nor branch. But to you who fear My name The Sun of Righteousness shall arise With healing in His wings; And you shall go out And grow fat like stall-fed calves. You shall trample the wicked, For they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet On the day that I do this," Says the LORD of hosts.
The Sun of the new day would burn the wicked like stubble, but it would serve as a healing balm for the righteous. The same Sun would produce two dramatically different results. In this example we see the results did not depend on the source but on the attitude of the recipients. When it comes to God's word the same message can yield different responses (Acts 17:22-34).
Those who choose righteousness have a good attitude toward God's word. They see obedience to His commands as a benefit, not a burden (Matthew 11:29-30; 1 John 5:3). They understand that obeying God is not only possible (Deuteronomy 30:10-14), but enjoyable (Proverbs 3:13-18; Psalm 19:7-11). They realize that God's commands are the true source of peace in this life (John 16:33; Luke 1:79; Psalm 119:165).
Those who choose wickedness have a negative view concerning God’s word. They see His commands as too narrow and restrictive (Matthew 7:13-14; Luke 13:23-24). In their minds the commands are foolishness (1 Corinthians 1:18; 2:14) and offensive (Matthew 11:2-6; 15:10-14) so they never accept the teachings or the message of salvation found in Christ (1 Peter 2:6-8; Romans 9:32-33). God's word is not appreciated by them (John 6:26-27; 6:59-65), so they refuse to listen (Jeremiah 6:16-19).
We must continually examine our attitude toward the Bible. Let us never see the inspired scriptures as being too difficult or restrictive. God's word is a gift which should be appreciated as the blessing it is to our lives (Psalm 119).
Have you ever wished to visit the Bible lands? If you are not able to make the journey yourself the next best thing could be watching these programs. These instructional video presentations, shot on location, let you explore many of the religious and historical sites in Israel, Jordan and Palestine. They are produced by WVBS and are completely free to view online.
"Passage 10 | Khirbet Qeiyafa: Witness to David's Kingdom" - Khirbet Qeiyafa—the biblical city of Sha’arayim—serves as a powerful witness for the historicity of the Davidic monarchy. Qeiyafa offers a treasure trove of information about the United Monarchy and the specific beliefs and practices of ancient Israel. Khirbet Qeiyafa: Witness to David’s Kingdom is a documentary that will strengthen your faith in the accuracy of Scripture and encourage you to live the distinctive life God desires for His people.
- Volume 1
- "Passage 1 | Jerusalem: An Unforgettable City" is a 26-minute documentary about the significance and grandeur of the ancient city of Jerusalem, and its relationship to biblical history and thought.
- "Passage 2 | The Ministry of Jesus in Northern Israel" is a 17-minute video which explores three famous sites involved in Jesus’ public ministry: Cana, the Mount of Beatitudes, and Caesarea Philippi.
- "Passage 3 | Dan: City of Unfaithfulness" is a 17-minute documentary showing the significance of Dan as a center of idolatry and unfaithfulness to God.
- "Passage 4 | In the Shadow of Gilboa: Reaping & Sowing" is a 23-minute video which examines several biblical events that occurred in and around Mt. Gilboa, Beit Shan, and the Jezreel and Harod Valleys.
- "Passage 5 | Treasures of Qumran: The Dead Sea Scrolls" is a 24-minute documentary offering the viewer a tour of the home of an ancient Jewish sect thought responsible for producing the Dead Sea Scrolls.
- Volume 2
- "Passage 6 | Judah: David's Training Ground of Faith" is a 26-minute documentary about one of the ancient tribal territories of Israel and its relationship to the early life of King David.
- "Passage 7 | The Southern Steps: Coming into the presence of the Lord" is a 19-minute documentary explaining the significance of the architecture on the southern side of the Temple Mount during the days of Jesus. Recent excavations reveal the areas known as the Southern Steps, which worshipers would ascend to enter the temple, as well as the many immersion pools located near the temple. These are directly linked to the ministry of Jesus and the beginnings of Christianity, making this an important study for disciples today.
- "Passage 8 | Masada: Fortress of Misplaced Faith" is a 26-minute film which documents and explains through creative and powerful illustrations, photography and video the history of this gaunt and yet majestic plateau known as Masada. Thought to have been one of King David’s hiding places, this site was in the first century B.C. transformed into what was believed to be an impregnable palace fortress for King Herod the Great, and later would become the place for a legendary showdown between Jewish Zealots and the Roman army. This is a must-see film teaching lessons about ingenuity, courage and faith.
- "Passage 9 | Jericho: City of Rahab" - The archaeology of Jericho, coupled with the biblical account, has captured the imagination of many, but just as captivating is the story of a woman by the name of Rahab, whom God saved from the destruction. Her story is one of the rare jewels to truly be examined in this treasure trove of facts and information. Jericho: City of Rahab captures the essence of her life in a way that will encourage and inspire you.
These videos may be found under the “About” option on the blue menu bar by clicking the “Recommended Videos” link. When you click this button you will be taken to a page which will be continually updated with information concerning free videos available for online viewing which may be of interest to you.