A "philomath" is one who loves learning. It is a person who enjoys discovering new facts and information and is always seeking to gain new knowledge. I know that as a student of the school you are a Philomath. I also know that your special area of interest is learning more about God's word. The book of Proverbs is filled with verses that emphasize the importance of learning. Notice what is taught in the following passages:
- Proverbs 1:5, "Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance."
- Proverbs 18:15, "An intelligent heart acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge."
- Proverbs 9:9, "Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser; teach a righteous man, and he will increase in learning."
- Proverbs 1:7, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction."
- Proverbs 10:17, "Whoever heeds instruction is on the path to life, but he who rejects reproof leads others astray."
From these passages we see that those who are wise will seek to learn more. They understand the importance of knowledge and the ongoing benefits to increasing ones understanding. They also realize that reverence for God is where true learning begins. They know that without a "fear of the Lord" one will never seek His wisdom. They even appreciate the correction which comes from the Bible. May you always be one who loves learning more from God's word.
Have you ever wished to visit the Bible lands? If you are not able to make the journey yourself the next best thing could be watching these programs. These instructional video presentations, shot on location, let you explore many of the religious and historical sites in Israel, Jordan and Palestine. They are produced by WVBS and are completely free to view online.
- Volume 2
- "Passage 6 | Judah: David's Training Ground of Faith" is a 26-minute documentary about one of the ancient tribal territories of Israel and its relationship to the early life of King David.
- "Passage 7 | The SOUTHERN STEPS: Coming into the PRESENCE of the Lord" is a 19-minute documentary explaining the significance of the architecture on the southern side of the Temple Mount during the days of Jesus. Recent excavations reveal the areas known as the Southern Steps, which worshipers would ascend to enter the temple, as well as the many immersion pools located near the temple. These are directly linked to the ministry of Jesus and the beginnings of Christianity, making this an important study for disciples today.
- "Passage 8 | Masada: Fortress of Misplaced Faith" is a 26-minute film which documents and explains through creative and powerful illustrations, photography and video the history of this gaunt and yet majestic plateau known as Masada. Thought to have been one of King David’s hiding places, this site was in the first century B.C. transformed into what was believed to be an impregnable palace fortress for King Herod the Great, and later would become the place for a legendary showdown between Jewish Zealots and the Roman army. This is a must-see film teaching lessons about ingenuity, courage and faith.
- Volume 1
- "Passage 1 | Jerusalem: An Unforgettable City" is a 26-minute documentary about the significance and grandeur of the ancient city of Jerusalem, and its relationship to biblical history and thought.
- "Passage 2 | The Ministry of Jesus in Northern Israel" is a 17-minute video which explores three famous sites involved in Jesus’ public ministry: Cana, the Mount of Beatitudes, and Caesarea Philippi.
- "Passage 3 | Dan: City of Unfaithfulness" is a 17-minute documentary showing the significance of Dan as a center of idolatry and unfaithfulness to God.
- "Passage 4 | In the Shadow of Gilboa: Reaping & Sowing" is a 23-minute video which examines several biblical events that occurred in and around Mt. Gilboa, Beit Shan, and the Jezreel and Harod Valleys.
- "Passage 5 | Treasures of Qumran: The Dead Sea Scrolls" is a 24-minute documentary offering the viewer a tour of the home of an ancient Jewish sect thought responsible for producing the Dead Sea Scrolls.
These videos may be found under the “About” option on the blue menu bar by clicking the “Recommended Videos” link. When you click this button you will be taken to a page which will be continually updated with information concerning free videos available for online viewing which may be of interest to you.