Andrew D. White (cofounder and first president of Cornell University) once told a class of freshmen, "You are not here to receive an education. You are here to educate yourselves." These words were true for them and especially true today for students of the WVBS Online Bible School. In the school you will find an abundance of resources to help you in your understanding of God’s word. However, your education still requires a do-it-yourself approach. You cannot be “given” an education.
Knowledge is never gained without the initiative and effort of the student. Education requires active participation. A passive approach will surely result in failure. You can buy many things in this life, but you cannot buy an education. The students of the Online Bible School participate and contribute to their own education. They involve themselves wholly in the learning process.
Therefore, one of the requirements for the Online School is that the students be self-motivated. At traditional schools you are often prodded along by the instructors. You are faced with due-dates, deadlines and time limits for completing assignments. But, an online education demands the active participation of a motivated self-starter. It is a truly self-participatory transforming process. Not only do you learn but you learn how to learn. You mature while exercising your personal responsibility in the learning process. You become a partner with the instructor in your own education. You are not merely studying or taking a course, you are being transformed through your own efforts.
Have you ever wished to visit the Bible lands? If you are not able to make the journey yourself the next best thing could be watching these programs. These instructional video presentations, shot on location, let you explore many of the religious and historical sites in Israel, Jordan and Palestine. They are produced by WVBS and are completely free to view online.
- "Passage 1 | Jerusalem: An Unforgettable City" is a 26-minute documentary about the significance and grandeur of the ancient city of Jerusalem, and its relationship to biblical history and thought.
- "Passage 2 | The Ministry of Jesus in Northern Israel" is a 17-minute video which explores three famous sites involved in Jesus’ public ministry: Cana, the Mount of Beatitudes, and Caesarea Philippi.
- "Passage 3 | Dan: City of Unfaithfulness" is a 17-minute documentary showing the significance of Dan as a center of idolatry and unfaithfulness to God.
- "Passage 4 | In the Shadow of Gilboa: Reaping & Sowing" is a 23-minute video which examines several biblical events that occurred in and around Mt. Gilboa, Beit Shan, and the Jezreel and Harod Valleys.
- "Passage 5 | Treasures of Qumran: The Dead Sea Scrolls" is a 24-minute documentary offering the viewer a tour of the home of an ancient Jewish sect thought responsible for producing the Dead Sea Scrolls.
- "Passage 6 | Judah: David's Training Ground of Faith" is a 26-minute documentary about one of the ancient tribal territories of Israel and its relationship to the early life of King David.
- "Passage 7 | The SOUTHERN STEPS: Coming into the PRESENCE of the Lord" is a 19-minute documentary explaining the significance of the architecture on the southern side of the Temple Mount during the days of Jesus. Recent excavations reveal the areas known as the Southern Steps, which worshipers would ascend to enter the temple, as well as the many immersion pools located near the temple. These are directly linked to the ministry of Jesus and the beginnings of Christianity, making this an important study for disciples today.
These videos may be found under the “About” option on the blue menu bar by clicking the “Recommended Videos” link. When you click this button you will be taken to a page which will be continually updated with information concerning free videos available for online viewing which may be of interest to you.